Saturday, December 24, 2011

There are days that leave me weary for Heaven.
Christmas Eve is usually one of them.

Recently, Christmas has just been me and my immediate family.
My dad wasn't raised celebrating Christmas, so it's not his holiday by any means.
My mom's childhood Christmases were more focused on the magic that is Santa and his red velvet bag of toys.
I'm not saying I don't love getting and giving gifts.
And, my dad always tries his utmost best to join in during the holiday festivities.

But, my heart yearns to visit Jesus in the manger.
All these years when I begged Santa for a puppy, what I really wanted was to be a wise man or a shepherd boy.

I understand that now.

I understand that when I sing "joy to the world" at Coral Ridge Presbyterian's emphatic candle-lit Christmas Eve service, it is with a yearning for the true joy that will

Only be found when I'm in my Savior's arms.

I understand that no matter how much shiny paper of red, green, gold I shred with my fingertips, the gift inside, no matter how expensive, is not the

Gift of Gifts that God gave the world when He sent His son for us.

These earthly Christmastimes aren't for all of eternity, and

That's a good thing.

I can't wait to sing these carols with the angels someday.
Merry Christmas, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment